Next Meeting: Steering Committee 6-13-20
Tenants now have twelve months after the end of the moratorium to repay deferred rent. Tenants previously had six months to repay deferred rent. The moratorium on payment of rents for those unable to pay because of a COVID-19 caused financial impact has been extended through June 30. Details: Santa Monica’s April 30th expansion of the emergency eviction moratorium.
Affordable housing and rent subsidy program information is available for Santa Monica Residents and Santa Monica Workers. Application dates and details: Application and Registration Info
Fact sheet for Santa Monica renters prepared by the Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles: Fact Sheet from LAFLA
SMRR Live Webinar
Watch the SMRR Live Webinar “Changes in law affecting renters during the COVID-19 crisis”
Recorded 4-7-20 (For a description of the Webinar, click here)
The City Attorney’s Office has summarized the temporary moratorium on evictions as it pertains to rent payments:
– Important Information for Renters Regarding Rent Payments (March 27, 2020)
– Additional Important Information for Renters Regarding Rent Payments (March 31, 2020)
– Further Important Information for Renters Regarding Rent Payments and Evictions (April 9, 2020)
The City of Santa Monica has issued an Executive Order declaring a local state of emergency due to the coronavirus health crisis. The City has issued a temporary emergency moratorium on evictions as Supplements to the Executive Order. For City information on these orders go to: https://www.santamonica.gov/coronavirus-eviction-moratorium
For the details of each supplement, see the following links:
– The City’s First Supplement: Temporary Moratorium on Evictions (3-14-2020)
– The City’s Revised First Supplement: First Revised Supplement (3-18-2020)
– The City’s Second Revised First Supplement: Second Revised First Supplement (4-8-2020)
– City’s FAQs on temporary moratorium on eviction is here: Frequently Asked Questions (click then scroll down to ‘Housing’)
– Here is a link to the Notice To Landlord Form created by the City of Santa Monica to help tenants communicate with their landlords (updated 4-3-2020): Notice to Landlord Form
– City’s list of resources: City’s List of Community Resources
The Eviction Defense Network (in Los Angeles) is offering tenants free online consultation during the coronavirus (COVID-19) health crisis. Email [email protected] with questions and include relevant documents if you can. If you do not have access to the email their office hours are M-F 9:00AM-6:00PM at 1930 Wilshire Boulevard, Suite 208, Los Angeles, CA 90057.
Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles has closed their office reception areas to visitors, starting Monday, March 16 through the end of the month. However, applicants can access LAFLA services by calling 800-399-4529 between 9 a.m.-12 p.m., and 1-4:30 p.m. for intake only, Monday through Friday; or applying online for help. All current client activity will be conducted remotely when possible. Clinics will be held by telephone or video conference when possible. Reasonable accommodations will be made for clients with disabilities.
Recycling News: What to know what goes into each bin? Don’t know if something should be recycled, composted or placed in the trash bin? We can help. A representative of Santa Monica’s Resource Recovery and Recycling department came to a recent SMRR meeting and answered questions about the current state of recycling in Santa Monica. Click here for more information.