The information below is from City of Santa Monica website regarding eviction moratorium: https://www.santamonica.gov/coronavirus-eviction-moratorium#fortenants
After April 1, 2022 – New County Protections for Nonpayment of Rent Evictions
On January 26, 2022, the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors enacted eviction protections for nonpayment of rent, to take effect starting April 1, 2022. The protections apply to Santa Monica tenants. There are two phases.
- Phase 1, April 1, 2022 – May 31, 2022: Tenants are protected for nonpayment of rent incurred on or after April 1, 2022 if they self-certify as to COVID-19 financial hardship
- Phase 2, June 1, 2022 – December 31, 2022: Protections apply only to households with income at or below 80% of Area Median Income (80%). Tenants with incomes that qualify are protected for nonpayment of rent incurred on or after April 1, 2022 if they self-certify as to COVID-19 financial hardship.
For more more information on COVID-19 eviction protections enacted by Los Angeles County, visit the County’s eviction moratorium webpage. Questions regarding county protections should be directed to county staff at (800) 593-8222 or [email protected]. Rent relief flyerAyuda con la renta (espanol)Protections against evictions for reasons other than nonpayment of rent have also been extended. On October 29, 2021, the City incorporated and adopted the County of Los Angeles eviction moratorium as it applies to residential tenants, with limited differences, as follows:
- Protections against “no-fault” evictions extended until January 31, 2022.
- Protections against owner move-in evictions, with limited exceptions, extended until January 31, 2022.
- Protections against evictions for nuisance or unauthorized occupants or pets extended until January 31, 2022.
- Owners may serve requisite notices for an Ellis Act eviction, but shall not file an eviction based on removal of a unit from the market under the Ellis Act until April 1, 2022.
The County Moratorium includes additional protections that apply to Santa Monica tenants, including protections against eviction for denial of entry to a landlord, and ongoing protections for commercial tenants. The City’s ability to enforce these additional protections may be limited.
On January 26, 2022, the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors extended protections from eviction for reasons other than nonpayment of rent through December 31, 2022. These include protections from no-fault evictions and evictions based on nuisance and unauthorized occupants or pets. Protections against eviction for denial of entry to a landlord were extended through May 31, 2022. The County has provided a summary of new protections that can be viewed here. Landlords and tenants can request free mediation services here